Happy December! It’s the last month of 2017. It’s also my birthday month and an opportunity for me to share what I have learned so far in my mindfulness facilitator training program with the Engaged Mindfulness Institute (EMI). The EMI program started with a week-long silent retreat that was held in Deerfield, Massachusetts in September. One of my biggest takeaways from the retreat is the value of practicing loving kindness or metta towards myself each day. It is one of my four self-care secret weapons (loving kindness, compassion, joy, and equanimity) I use to outsmart stress and thrive+work mindfully.
Here’s my special gift for you: #ThrivingMindfully Self-Care Challenge, a four-week experience that invites you to practice and reflect on loving kindness, compassion, joy, and equanimity.
Each week, I will share a video and invite you to participate in a self-care exercise that includes breathing exercises, reflection questions, and journaling. See the schedule below.
- Week 1, December 4-10: Loving Kindness
- Week 2, December 11-17: Compassion
- Week 3, December 18-24: Joy
- Week 4, December 25-31: Equanimity
Week 1 of #ThrivingMindfully Self-Care Challenge: December 4-10
Theme/Video: Loving Kindness
Invitation: Slow down and take three deep breaths. Touch your heart with one or both of your hands as you enter into a moment of stillness.
Take three more deep breaths.
Right where you are repeat this prayer out loud or silently three times: May I embody and express loving kindness.
Take three deep breaths. Thank yourself for showing up in the stillness.
Journaling Exercise: Take some time this week to reflect on and journal about one or more of the questions below.
- What does loving kindness mean?
- What does loving kindness look like in your life?
- What prevents you from embodying and expressing loving kindness for yourself?
- What do you want your loving kindness to look like in 2018?
- How can you add more moments of loving kindness into your daily, weekly, and monthly routines?