Blogalicious 2010 began with a powerful presentation on marketing to women of color by Miriam Muley, President/CEO of The 85% Niche and author ofThe 85% Niche: The Power of Women of All Colors, Latina, Black, and Asian. The title of Muley’s presentation was “Unleashing the Power of Women of Color.”
I learned so many facts about my power as a woman of color in America (see below).
- Women of color are incredibly entrepreneurial.
- Women of color are the quintessential market.
- 9 out of 10 out the new females in the last decade are Latina, Black or Asian.
- Women of color have $1 trillion in purchasing power! That means women of color’s purchasing power is equal to Brazil’s gross domestic product. We got some deep pockets!
- Black women are the crown jewel in the women of color purchasing power: $500 billion.
- 56% of women of color are the prime decision makers in their households.
- Women of color are increasingly well-educated: 43% Asian, 17% Black, and 11% Latina.
- Businesses owned by women of color are the fasting growing segment of the US economy.
- Women of color are pioneers in business.
- 42% of a majority-owned businesses are owned by women of color.
- Women of color businesses generate $230 billion in sales.
Check out the video (1 hour 3 minutes – totally worth watching) below.