Many people misunderstand self-care. They think they don’t deserve or need it. Some think they have to earn it. Others think it is optional, requires a lot of time and money, and will cause them to be labeled selfish because they have chosen to care for themselves instead of caring for others.
Self-care is the act of nurturing your spirit, heart, mind, body, breath, and life in ways that uplift you. Self-care allows you to tap into your inner mother for nurturing. Self-care makes you strong not weak. Self-care is absolutely free and accessible to you 24 hours a day because it begins with your breath.
Stop right now where you are and breathe deeply. Make your breath your BFF with one to seven deep breaths in through the nose and out through the mouth. Notice how your breath and body feel. Guess what? You just experienced a moment of self-care that did not cost you any money and took very little time.
Self-care looks different in each person’s life, career, and business. Check out the self-care examples below. Try one or several. Leave a comment about how the practice felt and impacted your life.
- Self-care is breathing deeply 1-3 times before you start and end your day.
- Self-care is closing your eyes and being still right where you are for a few minutes.
- Self-care is listening to your spirit, heart, mind, and body.
- Self-care is resting.
- Self-care is taking a short or long nap.
- Self-care is choosing to sleep in when the body needs it.
- Self-care is unplugging from digital devices.
- Self-care is having a chill out day, week, weekend, month, or year to slow down and go with the flow.
- Self-care is being quiet.
- Self-care is listening to soothing music.
- Self-care is reading anything that inspires, comforts, encourages, motivates, informs, and makes you feel good or laugh.
- Self-care is laughing.
- Self-care is being honest with yourself about what you can and cannot be and do given your current state of spiritual, emotional, mental, physical, creative, and financial well-being.
- Self-care is telling yourself it is okay not to know what to say or do next.
- Self-care is tapping into, trusting, and following your intuition.
- Self-care is acknowledging how you really feel no matter what emotion it is.
- Self-care is screaming into a pillow or yelling in your room to release whatever you need to release.
- Self-care is calling someone you trust and venting, cussing, and expressing your raw emotions.
- Self-care is giving yourself permission and space to not have it all together every day.
- Self-care is asking for and receiving HELP.
- Self-care is seeking support from a therapist, a mental health professional, a life coach or an accountability partner.
- Self-care is setting an intention on how you want to show up in your life, career, business, and community each day.
- Self-care is creating boundaries around how you use your time each day.
- Self-care is saying NO to things and experiences you really don’t have the energy to do.
- Self-care is releasing thoughts, beliefs, habits, behaviors, and relationships that no longer serve your highest good.
- Self-care is welcoming new thoughts, beliefs, practices, and relationships that uplift and support your growth.
- Self-care is giving yourself loving kindness and compassion.
- Self-care is releasing the need to criticize and judge yourself.
- Self-care is being patient with yourself.
- Self-care is forgiving yourself.
- Self-care is recognizing you are doing the best you can where you are.
- Self-care is spending time in prayer.
- Self-care is meditating.
- Self-care is saying affirmations.
- Self-care is practicing yoga, reiki, tapping, tai chi, mindful walking, and other mindfulness practices.
- Self-care is moving your body mindfully with exercise.
- Self-care is chanting mantras.
- Self-care is singing.
- Self-care is journaling.
- Self-care is making art.
- Self-care is coloring.
- Self-care is wearing your favorite colors.
- Self-care is sipping your favorite tea, coffee, or healthy beverage.
- Self-care is eating healthy.
- Self-care is spending time with family, friends, and neighbors who uplift and love you.
- Self-care is having meaningful conversations with people you like and love.
- Self-care is being grateful for all you are and have.
- Self-care is celebrating your personal and professional growth by acknowledging your small, medium, and big wins each day, week, month, and year.
- Self-care is taking one small step each day to nurture your spirit, heart, mind, body, breath, and life.
Self-care is also one of your superpowers for serving and supporting others in your life, career, and business. When you take care of yourself first, you strengthen your capacity to show up in your life as a whole, healthy, and resilient person who is in a better position to serve and support loved ones, colleagues, clients, and members of your community.
The Thriving Mindfully Academy (TMA) helps people just like you and mission-driven companies, organizations, and communities understand, accept, and claim self-care as a birthright.
At TMA, we use the 4Bs of Self-Care as the foundation for virtual and in-person trainings, coaching, and resources. The 4Bs of Self-Care include:
- Self-care is a BIRTHRIGHT.
- Self-care is a BELIEF that you are worthy of it.
- Self-care is a way of BEING that takes practice, patience, and time because it is a process you can with small steps to make it come alive in your life.
- Self-care begins with the BREATH (which is FREE and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year).
We encourage our clients to take mindful self-care vitamins called the “Big 5” each day to support themselves, especially in moments when their inner critic appears on the scene. They include loving kindness, compassion, nonjudgment, patience, and forgiveness. They help support you in your daily practice, especially in moments when you criticize, judge or shame yourself for not being able to live up to your own expectations or achieve your goals.
We use the C.A.R.E. tool as a reminder during stressful times. C.A.R.E. is an acronym for:
- CHOOSE your birthright to self-care.
- ACT: Act in ways that
- ENERGY: Your spiritual, emotional, mental, physical, and creative ENERGY
Watch the videos below to learn more about the 4Bs of Self-Care, “Big 5” Mindful Self-Care Vitamins, Recipe of Weekly Self-Care Themes, and C.A.R.E. tool.
VIDEO: 4 Bs of Self-Care
VIDEO: “Big 5” Mindful Self-Care Vitamins
VIDEO: Recipe of Weekly Self-Care Themes
VIDEO: C.A.R.E. Tool
Self-Care Podcast Episodes
Listen to the Thriving Mindfully Podcast episodes to expand your understanding of self-care.
- Mindful Self-Care and the Power of Rituals
- Practice Self-Care with Weekly Themes
- Practice Mindful Self-Care with the New and Full Moons
- 4Bs of Self-Care
- Mindful Self-Care Process for Stress and Burnout
- Take a Deep Dive Into Self-Care
- Tap Into Your Inner Mother to Practice Self-Care
Listen to the Thriving Mindfully Podcast episodes for tips on how to practice the weekly themes.
- Slow Down Sunday Self-Care Practices
- Mindful Monday Self-Care Practices
- Time Management Tuesday Self-Care Practices
- Wellness Wednesday Self-Care Practices
- Thankful Thursday Self-Care Practices
- Fun-day Friday Self-Care Practices
- Savor Your Life Saturday Self-Care Practices
2020 Reset Online Retreat
Have you been feeling stuck, afraid, overwhelmed, or unsure of what to do next since the COVID-19 began? Are you noticing a need to dive deep, reflect, release, forgive, and/or reimagine who you are and how you want to show up in your life, career, business, and community in the next seven months? Do you need to press the reset button on your 2020?
Sign up for the 2020 Reset Online Retreat and select one of the investment options: $98, $88 or pay what you can donation below.
Digital Wellness 101 Webinar
Stressed out about your use of technology? Are you spending a lot of time online? Consuming too much negative news? Are your eyes tired of looking at screens? Is your body experiencing tension from sitting too long or hunched over in front of digital devices? Sleeping with your phone or tablet in or near your bed? If you answered YES or MAYBE to one or more of the questions, you need to create tech life balance.
Sign up for the Digital Wellness 101 Webinar and select one of the investment options available: $55, $45, or pay what you can donation below.