Before I really get started in a new year, I step back and go on a personal retreat to review and reflect on the year I completed. Looking back before I move forward helps me explore the lessons I learned. In my one-on-one coaching sessions and Come Home to Yourself Retreats, I’ve been having some great conversations with people about the valuable lessons they learned in 2020. Many of the lessons they learned helped them see they were more resilient than they thought.
Have you had an opportunity to reflect on your 2020 and the lessons you learned?
What did you learn last year?
In December (my favorite month because it is my birthday month), I carved out time to do my own personal retreat, I used my Come Home to Yourself Retreat exercises and discovered 20 key lessons I learned last year. They included:
1) CONTROLLING THE UNIVERSE DOESN’T WORK SO SURRENDER: I learned to have a better relationship with my archetypes who often want to control everything. They include inner critic Broomie a/k/a Broomhilda, Chief Executive Assistant woman Madelyn, warrior woman Sapphire, and girl child Puf. Instead of shutting them down, I listen to them and let them know they have been heard. I tell them that my wise woman Ancestor, spirit woman Ananda, creative woman Kiamsha, and peacemaker Cheryl appreciate their concerns. Paying them respect and treating them as a full member of my inner counsel of arcehtypes reduces their need to control. It also creates space for me to ask the Universe what I need to feel, think, say, and do with the information they provided. Most times, I am not called to do anything. This process allows me to slow down and joyfully surrender to Spirit’s will. I flow so much better now.
PS: If you’d like to learn more about my archetypes and how I have worked with them in my life, check out my mindful creativity memoir, That Which Awakens Me here. You can buy the book on Amazon here.
2) I HAVE A RIGHT TO BE VULNERABLE: I learned tt is healthy to be vulnerable and have conversations with my heart regularly.
3) I GET TO PRIORITIZE WHAT I NEED: I learned what I truly need and to make rest, joy, laughter, and self-hugs daily priorities.
4) MY HEALTHY LIFESTYLE IS MY CREATION: I learned to live as a relaxed vegan which means use a blend of vegan and alkaline lifestyle practices.
5) MY PHYSICAL FITNESS IS MY SALVATION: I learned how to release stress and stay grounded by moving my body with yoga, dancing, walking, Barre 3, and bike riding daily (which means use one, some or all of them each day depending on my energy level).
6) MASTERING MY ENERGY IS KEY TO MY ABILITY TO THRIVE: I learned how valuable it is to manage and align my energy, time, creativity, and business with meditation, chanting, reiki, tapping, astrology, chakra and crystal therapies, and the moon cycles.
7) ASKING FOR HELP AND BEING A PART OF COMMUNITY SAVED MY MENTAL HEALTH: I learned not to waste time with stress and mental health struggles by pretending I don’t need help. So I got support through daily self-care, monthly therapy sessions, spending time with family and friends (social distancing, Zoom calls, phone calls, and texting), and participating in online meditation, self-care, and spiritual communities and events (Thriving Mindfully Academy’s weekly meditation community, InsightLA POC Sangha, Noble Indigo women’s circle, Rickie Byars’ B-Hood programs, Agape International Spiritual Center, and others) regularly.
8) MY CREATIVE EXPRESSION WAS LONGING FOR FREEDOM TO JUST BE WITHOUT ANY EXPECATIONS: I learned how to allow myself to be creative in smaller, intentional ways that didn’t require writing a book or creating artwork for sale. I learned how to create and schedule weekly and monthly creative sessions to play and have fun.
9) SOUND HEALING KEEPS ME SANE AND BALANCED: I discovered a new healing medicine by playing my Soul Orchestra of sound healing bowls, gong, koshi chimes, thumb drum, and rainstick regularly.
10) MY TECH AND SOCIAL MEDIA USE WAS WAY WAY WAY OVERBOARD AND CAUSED TREMENDOUS STRESS: I learned to take a summer social media vacation and how to transform my relationship with technology and social media with digital wellness through a 10-week course organized by the Digital Wellness Institute. It was one of the best educational and personal growth experiences I had. I am really get how my tech overuse has stressed me out. Now I am certified as a Digital Wellness Educator and can use what I learned in my own life and Thriving Mindfully Academy work with clients.
11) I DON’T NEED ALL OF THE STUFF I THOUGHT I NEEDED: I learned to simplify where I can in my life, career, and home.
12) BRINGING MY YOGA FLEXIBILITY INTO ALL AREAS OF MY LIFE HELPS ME AGE WELL: I learned how important it is to stay open, curious, and flexible to prevent myself from getting stuck in my way of being and doing as I move through my 50s.
13) I FEEL MUCH BETTER WHEN I WEAR LIP GLOSS: Wearing lip gloss each day (even with my mask) is a positive energizing self-care practice. I purchased lip gloss by Black and Brown beauty companies such as AJ Crimson, Kami Cosmetics, and Mented, and from Black and Brown-owned stores like Brown Beauty Coop.
14) I COME FROM POWERFUL PEOPLE: I learned to be more aware of, connected to, and celebrate my ancestral resilient sheroes, heroes, and theyroes. They are a source of inspiration. They also remind I come from people who loved, lived with joy, and overcame struggle.
15) I AM STRONGER THAN I THINK AND I AM NOT SUPER WOMAN: I learned to take regularly inventory of my own legacy of resilience.
16) PLANTS ARE MY NEW BFFS: I learned to reconnect with nature by following in the footsteps of my niece Jordan a/ka/a “The Plant Momma” by keeping plants around me for inspiration and positive energy.
17) KOOL AND THE GANG’S SONG CELEBRATE NEEDS TO BE MY NATIONAL ANTHEM: I learned to find special ways to celebrate my small, medium, and big wins daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly. It taught me how to inspire and encourage others to do the same .
18) MAKING PEOPLE SMILE WITH ACTS OF KINDNESS OPENS MY HEART: I learned how to expand my practice of loving kindness by increasing my appreciation for and gratitude for people who make my life special, juicy, and blessed.
19) MY VOICE NEEDS TO BE LOUDER: I learned how to speak up with more strength and grounding when I feel overwhelmed and need to set boundaries.
20) I DESERVE TO BE A CUTIE ON DUTY: Wearing crop tops from Zara is EVERYTHING. Pure Fire!
I’ve got several ways to help you and your family, friends, colleagues, company or organization in 2021. Read on….
Join me for the Come Home to Yourself Retreat on January 10th at 2-4:30 PM ET. The virtual retreat will help you wrap up 2020 and start 2021 with more intention, ease, and gratitude. REGISTER HERE.
Explore working with me in a one-on-one coaching relationship or as a virtual trainer and speaker for your virtual event. Check out the services I offer through Ananda Leeke Consulting and the Thriving Mindfully Academy. Contact me to set up a complimentary 20-minute consultation call to explore how we can work together this year via Google Meet, Zoom or the phone: email@example.com.