Happy National Day of Unplugging! National Day of Unplugging is an awareness campaign the Unplug Collaborative created in 2009 to promote a 24-hour respite from technology during the first weekend in March. It’s a golden opportunity to practice digital wellness and reconnect to your life and loved ones in real time. It starts at sundown on Friday, March 5th, and ends at sundown on Saturday, March 6th. Go here to get tips on how to participate.
Check out my six tips for creating mini unplug moments during your National Day of Unplugging.
- When you wake up in the morning, don’t check your smartphone for texts, email, or social media updates. Instead start your day with a breathing exercise. Place your hand on your heart as you inhale and exhale through your nose seven times.
2. UNPLUG and eat your breakfast, lunch, or dinner without looking at your digital devices.
3. While you’re working during the day, UNPLUG from your digital devices and take a one-minute break by inhaling and exhaling through your nose three times.
4. During your morning and evening commutes, UNPLUG from your digital devices and take FIVE deep breaths (inhale and exhale through your nose) before you turn your car or motorcycle/scooter, start to bike, or when you sit down on public transportation.
5. Spend one UNPLUGGED evening without your digital devices. That means when you get home, you turn everything off or place the sound on mute until the next day.
6. UNPLUG before you go to sleep by placing your digital devices on mute in another room.
Need more resources? Check out the Thriving Mindfully Academy’s digital wellness resources. Read my 2018 Washington AFRO article, “Discover the Power of Unplugging.”