Last night I hosted a juicy discussion on BAP Living Radio (http://www.talkshoe.com/tc/18598) with the following brilliant Black women bloggers:
-Sondra Lewis, makeup artist, fashion editor, and founder of Chic Chocolate For Fashionistas, Stylistas, Urbanistas In DC & Beyond
-Shwana Ruth-Bridges, attorney and founder of Character Corner: The Blog Where Hip Hop Meets Scripture
We talked a lot about the power and freedom of expression Black women have discovered in blogging. Blogging allows Black women to explore their creativity, build community, and establish connections with others. Blogging gives Black women the space to tell their stories in their own authentic voices. Blogging opens the door to new creative possibilities for Black women. Blogging builds sisterhood among Black women. Blogging offers Black women a chance to advocate for causes and campaigns that reflect their personal interests. Blogging allows Black women to share their thoughts and information about race, gender, books, motherhood, fashion, beauty, culture, politics, popular culture, spirituality, health, travel, and so much more. Blogging serves as a form of therapy for Black women … a way to release stress … an opportunity to inspire and honor others. Blogging makes it possible for Black women to earn money with online ads. Blogging helps Black women brand their businesses, build their audiences as a writer/author, and market their creative efforts with assistance from Twitter and Facebook. Blogging helps Black women network online and offline. To hear more about the ways blogging and social media have impacted Black women’s lives, click here to listen to the show (episode 21 – aired on June 3 – 1 hour, 42 minutes): http://www.talkshoe.com/tc/18598. Be sure to tune into BAP Living Radio episodes on Black women in social media on June 7, 9, and 10.
More about social media … Today I read several blog posts that I think social media folks might be interested in. See the links below.
1) Barack Obama’s Blackberry As An Effective Communication and Business Tool – http://barack20.com/index.php/barack-obamas-blackberry-as-an-effective-communication-and-business-tool
2) Is Bing the Search Engine of the Future? – www.blackweb20.com/2009/06/04/is-bing-the-search-engine-of-the-future
3) Marketing vs. Advertising vs. Public Relations: An Analogy – http://www.elasticmind.ca/innerpreneur/index.php/2009/05/12/marketing-vs-advertising-vs-public-relations-an-analogy
4) Blogging for Small Business – http://pink-heels.blogspot.com/2009/05/blogging-for-small-business.html
5) Internet Marketing: A good Investment During an Economic Slowdown – http://blogs.openforum.com/2009/06/04/internet-marketing-good-investment-economic-slowdown
6) 3 Questions Entrepreneurs Should Ask Themselves – http://blogs.openforum.com/2009/06/04/3-questions-entrepreneurs-should-ask-themselves
7) Is Twitter Evolving from the Facebook to the Myspace of Microblogs? Analyzing Twitter trends and demographics – http://www.briansolis.com/2009/06/is-twitter-evolving-from-facebook-to.html
8) Out of bounds – http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2009/06/out-of-bounds.html
9) Audience or Community – http://www.chrisbrogan.com/audience-or-community