Technology has become our BFF and made life and work easier. It has also caused many of us to be glued to digital devices for the majority of our day. As a result, we are missing out on being present for moments that matter. We’re so plugged in that we are suffering from digital overload and distraction. We don’t even realize we need tech-life balance.
Does that sound like you or someone you know?
What Is Tech-Life Balance?
Tech-life balance is the use of technology in mindful, intentional, and healthy ways that have a positive impact on our personal and professional life and relationships.
How Do We Maintain Our Relationship with Technology & Create Tech-Life Balance?
Digital Wellness is the answer.
Digital Wellness is the use of technology in mindful, intentional, and healthy ways. Watch the video and go here to listen to Thriving Mindfully Podcast about digital wellness.
What Gets in the Way of Practicing Digital Wellness?
Digital overload and distraction are two of the most common challenges to digital wellness. Digital overload happens when our brain is bombarded with constant electronic stimuli.
Digital overload pushes our brain to work overtime. It divides our attention and causes our stress levels to soar. When we experience digital overload and unplug from our digital devices, our brains remain in a hyper-alert and distracted state.
Digital distraction occurs when we spend too much time with digital devices that it is detrimental and even dangerous to our relationships.
It’s Time to Get Real About Your Tech Use!
Get your favorite pen, journal, or a piece of paper. Take a few minutes to answer each of the questions below. They will help you become aware of how you currently use technology. Your responses will help you identify what needs to be included in your Digital Wellness Intention.
- How much time do you currently spend online Monday through Friday and on the weekends?
- Do you take breaks from using technology?
- What stresses you out when you are online?
- Does your body experience tension, tightness, or discomfort while you are online?
- How do you take care of your body while you are online (the way you sit or stand, screens that protect your eyes, etc.)?
- Do you sleep with your digital devices on or near your bed?
How You Can Use Digital Wellness to Be Intentional About Your Tech Use
You create digital wellness in your life, career, and business with an intention and a plan. In my work at the Thriving Mindfully Academy, I offer people just like you and mission-driven companies, organizations, and communities three steps to create digital wellness. The three steps include:
- Prepare a digital wellness intention. A digital wellness intention is a statement about the way you want to use technology and how you want to feel when you use technology.
- Conduct a tech assessment. Explore how you are you currently using technology and the barriers you may have to your tech-life balance.
- Establish a weekly schedule with a revised digital wellness intention. Based on what you learned from your tech assessment, revise your digital wellness intention. Identify one to three steps you can take to create tech-life balance on a weekly basis over the next 30, 60 or 90 days. Remember to start small!
If you or your organization, company, and community need more self-care, mindfulness, and wellness resources, visit the Thriving Mindfully Academy here.
If you are new to mindfulness, self-care, and wellness or simply want to learn more about these areas, visit the Thriving Mindfully Academy’s resource pages below.